OK, we know the election of two weeks ago brought a bigger tsunami wave of new faces to Congress than even the National Weather Service could have predicted. But how new are they as a group when compared to the 2006 class?
A few of the demographics (for just the newcomers):
- Advanced degree: two-thirds in 2010; 80% in 2006
- Medical or dental degree: 8% in 2010; 2% in 2006
- Military veterans: 25% in 2010; less than 12% in 2006
- Women: 13% in 2010; 18% in 2006
- Minorities: 11% in both years
Demographics aside, the big question is how will they govern? Stay tuned for the answer to that one.