In his second guest post, Ivy Tech President Tom Snyder tackles the following topic:
- Tell us something that not enough people know about your college or university that makes it such a special place.
Much has been written about our growth as we are the nation’s largest singly-accredited statewide community college system. But we are also the state’s largest provider of workforce training. We offer contract and short-term training to companies throughout Indiana.
In many cases short-term training is what many displaced workers look to during times of a career change. We have put rapid response teams in motion in various parts of the state to provide workforce training for those who need support during those difficult times.
In closing, I think it is worth sharing some numbers that paint the picture of our student body:
- Average age of 27.5
- 25% married
- 18% minorities
- 39% have children (roughly 14% single parents)
- 60% of first-time, degree-seeking students receive financial aid
- 9,726 on food stamps
- 74% work (37% work more than 30 hours/week)
- 66% attend part-time
- 39% are first generation college students
- After six years over 40 percent of our students graduate, transfer or are still enrolled
- School of first choice for many. 10% of recent Hamilton Country grads went to Ivy Tech
Tomorrow: Purdue’s France Córdova