The blog of the Houston Press tackles the 10 things you do from your cubicle that irritate your coworkers the most. See the entire post for further explanations of each. Hopefully, you’re not guilty of any of these.
10. Eating too loudly
8. Talking about your wonderful, fantastic, not-at-all average kids
7. Flirting on the phone
6. Endless throat-clearing
5. Violating basic headphones etiquette
4. Eat lunches that have the pungency of a Mumbai spice market
3. Engage in endless discussions about reality shows or fantasy football
2. If you at any time have been told you have a unique laugh or giggle, DO NOT EVER BE AMUSED BY ANYTHING
1. Coming back from lunch wearing someone else’s perfume
Most surveys produce interesting results. Depending on the size of the sample, those findings may be statistically valid. Even if that is not the case, they are often, well, as I said, interesting.
Marist College (upstate New York for those not familiar with the school probably most famous around here for producing former Pacer big man Rik Smits) polled about 1,000 people to test words or phrases that are most annoying in conversation. The responses for the five phrases under consideration:
- Whatever — 47% (55% among Midwest respondents)
- You know — 25%
- It is what is is — 11%
- Anyway — 7%
- At the end of the day — 2%
Why was this the subject of a Marist College poll? You know, it is what it is. Anyway, at the end of the day, it’s simply whatever. Wow, put those five together and we’re really talking annoying.
What words or phrases bug you the most? Let us know.