Larry Gigerich of Ginovus, an Indiana Chamber member, penned an enlightening column for the Inside INdiana Business newsletter Wednesday, stating how important it is that Hoosiers in business understand how those outside of the state view us. He points to recent national rankings as trending especially positive for the Indiana business community, but stresses that "Indiana leaders must keep the gas pedal down to ensure that our state maintains its competitive advantage in the Midwest." He lists the following rankings:
1. Chief Executive Magazine: Indiana ranked 1st in the Midwest and 8th nationally for Best for Business. This ranking was based upon a survey of 605 chief executive officers of companies located throughout the United States.
2. The Tax Foundation: Indiana ranked 1st in the Midwest and 12th nationally for low taxes. This ranking was developed through a study completed by economists and researchers who examined the overall tax burden in states.
3. Forbes Magazine: Indiana ranked 1st in the Midwest and 4th nationally for cost of doing business. This ranking was based upon a study completed by economists and researchers who looked at several different factors impacting operating costs of businesses.
4. The American Legislative Council: Indiana ranked 1st in the Midwest and 12th nationally for economic competitiveness. This ranking was based on an analysis of factors impacting the positioning of states for sustained economic growth.
5. Ernst & Young: Indiana ranked 1st in the Midwest and 5th nationally in new and maintained mobile jobs. The ranking was based upon a study that looked at jobs that could be located and/or moved to a different location.