Chamber member Sun King Brewery (Indianapolis) recently returned from the 30th annual Great American Beer Festival in Denver with some serious hardware. (Check out the Huffington Post article.)The brewery reports:
Sun King Brewing Co. is proud to announce that it was the recipient of eight medals at the 30th annual Great American Beer Festival. Not only did Sun King lead the field in total medal count, its four Gold Medals were the most won by any single brewery.
The winning entries were:
- Gold Medal, Coffee Beer, JAVA MAC
- Gold Medal, Belgian-Style Strong Specialty Ale, BUFFALO SLUMBER
- Gold Medal, Classic Irish-Dry Stout, RING OF DINGLE
- Gold Medal, Scotch Ale, WEE MUCKLE
- Silver Medal, Wood and Barrel Aged Beer, WEE POGUE
- Silver Medal, Wood and Barrel Aged Strong Beer, BOURBON BARREL JOHAN
- Silver Medal, American-Style or International Pilsner, POPCORN PILSNER
- Bronze Medal, Barley Wine-Style Ale, JOHAN THE BARLEYWINE
Hosted by the Brewer’s Association, the GABF is the largest commercial beer competition in the world, with 3,930 beers vying for Gold, Silver, or Bronze medals. Those beers are rated in 83 categories and Indiana breweries had the highest winning rate by state at 19.2% (10 medals out of 52 total entries).
Three other Indiana brewers took home hardware at the GABF.
- Silver Medal, German-Style Marzen, MUNSTER FEST (Three Floyds, Munster, Ind.)
- Silver Medal, Scottish-Style Ale, NAUGHTY SCOT (Rock Bottom – College Park, Indianapolis)*
- Bronze Medal, American-Style Brett Ale, GRIMALKIN – SUPER KITTY FANTASTICO (Brugge Brasserie, Indianapolis)