Safety is something that can easily be taken for granted – that is until something happens.
When an employee died on the job at Strick Corporation in 2002, the Monroe-based company knew change was needed. “The incident rate was almost a recordable one (to OSHA) each day” prior to that fatality, notes Cheryl Pike, plant nurse and safety coordinator.
Impacted by the death of a co-worker, employees started volunteering for the company’s safety programs. The company’s culture changed for the better. The transformation at Strick Corporation earned the company INSHARP (Indiana Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program) status in 2008.
Today, Strick was honored at the 2009 Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards for its overall safety program.
Joining Strick in earning awards at the Indiana Safety and Health Conference were:
- Turner Construction Company of Indiana LLC in Indianapolis – education and outreach by a construction company award
- Bayer Healthcare LLC, Product Supply/Diabetes Care facility in Mishawaka – education and outreach by a large company award
- Futurex Industries Inc. in Bloomingdale – education and outreach by a medium company award
- Monsanto Company, Windfall Soybean Production division in Remington – education and outreach by a small company award
- ERMCO Inc. in Indianapolis – innovation by a specialty contractor award
- Indianapolis Power & Light Company – innovation by a large company award
- Emerson Industrial Automation, Emerson Power Transmission division in Monticello – innovation by a medium company award
- DSM NeoResins+ in Frankfort – innovation by a small company award
- Kimball Electronics and Advanced Rehabilitation, Inc. in Jasper – partnerships award
- Cerrowire Inc. in Crothersville – small company safety award
- Solid Platforms Inc. in Portage – specialty contractor safety award
The 2009 Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards are presented by the Indiana Department of Labor, on behalf of Gov. Mitch Daniels, the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers and the Indiana Chamber.