Our next edition of BizVoice magazine (July/August) will be focused on wellness. We’re currently doing interviews for the stories, and it’s been very encouraging to see what many businesses around the state are doing to keep — or get — their employees healthy. The importance of wellness really can’t be overstated. Case in point, see this inspirational viral video about an American paratrooper who’s turned his life around through yoga (and famous former WCW wrestler "Diamond" Dallas Page played a key role, which makes it even more awesome — at least for me).
A corporate wellness program (learn more about wellness at the Chamber’s Business of Health web site) is a great tool to improve employee health/performance, reduce health insurance costs and recruit/retain young talent. At the Indiana Chamber, we are in the second year of our program. I’d like to share a few of our initiatives for you to consider at your workplace:
1. Annual health screenings and flu shots
2. Walking Club – Tuesday, Thursday at 11:30
3. Yoga – Monday during the lunch hour
4. Guest speakers – motivation, nutrition, healthy cooking and exercise
5. Wellness Wednesday – free healthy snacks for staff members
6. Corporate health club membership – educational material and discounts for staff members
7. Chamber-sponsored kickball team
8. After hours functions – bike ride on the Monon Trail, hiking at Brown County and basketball games
9. Monthly wellness newsletter
Our wellness points rewards system offers up to two additional wellness days each year if the employee reaches a certain point threshold every six months. The top point recipients receive wellness days and gift cards to health food outlets.
If you find these to provide great returns for your company, feel free to buy me lunch. And, no, a deep-fried Snickers from the State Fair is not acceptable.